Alan is Of Counsel in Mintz & Gold’s Real Estate Department and has been with the firm since 2006. Prior to joining Mintz & Gold, Mr. Katz was a partner at Hogan & Hartson LLP (formerly Squadron, Ellenoff, Plesent & Sheinfeld LLP). Mr. Katz represents developers, owners, investors and lenders in diverse and complex real estate projects. His practice focuses on leasing, sales and acquisitions, development and construction projects, financing matters and joint ventures. Mr. Katz graduated magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from the University of Rochester in 1980 and received his J.D. from New York University School of Law in 1984. He is a member of the New York State Bar, the Association of the Bar of the City of New York and the Real Property Law Section and the Committee on Commercial Leasing of the New York State Bar Association.
- Leasing of 700,000 rsf downtown Manhattan headquarters for large global branded media company.
- Representation of leading international law firm with respect to 200,000 sf plus NYC office space in new construction building
- Representation of national law firm with respect to 160,000 sf plus NYC office space.
- Flagship Times Square retail lease on behalf of national shoe and sportswear company
- NYC Headquarters lease of national retail company of approximately 180,000 sf
- Representation of major international book publisher with respect to NYC headquarters lease of over 180,000 sf.
- Subleasing of over 200,000 sf Manhattan space on behalf of international newspaper publisher.
- Leasing on behalf of landlord of Manhattan office space converted from retail mall, including leases of 270,000 sf and 180,000 sf to Fortune 500 companies
- Representation of subsidiaries of international Fortune 500 company in extension and subleasing of NYC office space aggregating over 300,000 sf.
- Leasing of blocks of office space in Park Avenue office building on behalf of joint venture of premier investment bank and New York based developer
- Leasing of telecom “hotels” and network access point (NAP) facilities for the installation, operation and co-location of telecommunications equipment
- Representation of major Canadian law firm in 65,000 sf lease of two floors being developed at a new construction NYC office tower
- Leasing and negotiation of office space and ground leases throughout U.S. on behalf of international media company
- Representation of major international law firm in subleasing of blocks of Manhattan office space aggregating nearly 100,000 sf
- Representation of international airline in lease and license of terminal, office, maintenance, counter and lounge space at JFK International Airport and U.S. corporate headquarters in San Francisco, California
- Counsel for international media company in subleasing of approximately 90,000 sf to major commercial bank
- Representation of various New York City landlords in leasing of numerous Manhattan retail properties including commercial banks, restaurants, clubs and stores
- Counsel for national pharmacy in leasing of retail stores throughout the United States
- Representation of national retail chain in leasing of stores in malls throughout the United States
- Representation of international media company in license of large screen video display device in Times Square and subsequent sublicense and joint venture with international electronics company
- Representation of international media company and its network news division with respect to the phased renovation of its NYC headquarters
- Representation of leading international law firm with respect to construction and build out of its NYC offices
- Construction of headquarter offices for large global branded media company
- Representation of national retail company in construction of various retail store outlets throughout the United States
- Counsel for major national newspaper in color enhancement construction project for multiple nationwide printing press facilities
- Real estate counsel with respect to assemblage of land, dealings with various governmental agencies, construction and equipment contracts and synthetic lease financing for major New York City newspaper’s construction of newspaper printing press plant
- Oversight of all construction activities and related project financing on behalf of Swiss conglomerate as principal subcontractor for recycled office waste paper factories in Pennsylvania and Washington
- Representation of owner in construction of recycled tissue and toilet paper factories in Tennessee
- Negotiation of construction and architects’ contracts on behalf of direct television company’s Arizona broadcast operations facility and related improvements
- Representation of prominent international company in construction of New York City office headquarters
- Counsel for international media company in purchase of newspaper printing presses and related equipment for European operations
Purchases and Sales
- Representation of equity investment group engaged in acquisitions of office buildings and manufacturing facilities in Virginia, Washington and Florida
- Purchase of discounted notes and mortgages on behalf of real estate joint venture affecting properties in New York and throughout the U.S.
- Oversight of high-yield equity investments for national investment fund, including high-end Connecticut housing and Texas office properties
- Representation of prominent New York developer in acquisition by assignment of contract of sale with respect to New York City office property
- Representation of Florida developer in acquisition of office properties in southern Florida
- Purchase of blocks of unsold shares in cooperative apartment projects on behalf of New York City investor
- Representation of not-for profit publishing company in sale of 6 full floor condominium units aggregating over 150,000 sf.
- Representation of national opportunity fund providing $85M senior financing and $25M junior financing for four office buildings in Dallas and Houston, Texas
- Supervision of first mortgage and mezzanine financing totaling over $70M for international investment bank secured by office properties in Virginia, Texas, Tennessee and Ohio
- Counsel for premier international commercial bank financing the purchase of a portfolio of loans from another major commercial bank
- Handled over $215M in first mortgage and mezzanine financings secured by Florida office properties on behalf of Orlando based development company
- Representation of international commercial bank’s private banking unit in loans to high net-worth individuals secured by commercial real estate
- Representation of developer regarding over $300M in mortgage and mezzanine financing from major international investment bank in connection with purchases of multi-family residential complexes in Florida for conversion to condominium
- Negotiation of joint ventures and limited liability company agreements on behalf of national fund as capital partner making equity investments in various real estate projects throughout the United States.
- Representation of Florida developer in negotiations with different opportunity funds, investment banks and individual investors with respect to real estate joint ventures
- Counsel for major New York City developer in negotiation of limited liability company agreements with national equity investor
- Negotiation of limited liability company agreements on behalf of developer partner of real estate services and investment companies