Charles “Chuck” Ross represents both individuals and companies in criminal trials and investigations. Whether he is representing someone at trial or advising a company on how best to negotiate the dangerous shoals of an investigation, Chuck Ross is sought out for his skill, expertise, and dedication to achieving the best results for his clients. He has successfully represented a wide variety of individuals and companies in both criminal and administrative matters — from stockbrokers, investment advisers, hedge fund managers, and compliance officers to lawyers, doctors, noted entertainers and athletes.
Chuck has tried over 100 cases to verdict before juries in both federal and state courts in several jurisdictions. In dozens of cases, he has repeatedly persuaded prosecutors not to charge his clients and has avoided criminal proceedings all together. He has successfully guided major companies and organizations and well as corporate officers and employees through criminal and regulatory investigations in the health care industry, the financial industry, the legal profession and the technology field to name just a few. He has handled criminal antitrust matters, public corruption cases and fraud charges of all kinds.
Chuck has also handled numerous more traditional criminal cases such as sex crimes, allegations of possession of child pornography, narcotics distribution, gambling, racketeering, murder, rape and assault. In short, there is no type of criminal case, whether it is a complex white collar case or a street crime matter, that Mr. Ross is not comfortable and experienced at handling.
- Represented country head of international petroleum company in Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigation conducted by the United States Department of Justice.
- Represented immigration attorney in criminal investigation conducted by United States Attorney’s Office regarding alleged fraud in obtaining visas for foreign artists and musicians.
- Represented algorithm securities trader in state court on charges of brought by the District Attorney’s Office regarding fraud and theft of proprietary material.
- Represented a major national insurance company in connection with allegations of contingent commission practices.
- Investigated unfair competition and competitor kickbacks on behalf of a national medical laboratory.
- Advised a hedge fund in connection with a federal grand jury investigation involving mortgage and construction fraud.
- Representation at trial of stock promoter in on federal criminal securities fraud charges.
- Representation at trial of an investment advisor charged with marketing materials and “soft dollar” fraud.
- Representation at trial of a New York City Department of Buildings official charged with corruption.
- Representation in extradition proceedings of Lithuanian national charged with fraud in Lithuania.
- Representation in extradition proceedings of Guyanese national charged in Guyana with aiding and abetting a murder.
- Representation at trial of an individual charged with insurance fraud and murder.
- Representation at trial of an anesthesiologist charged with fraudulently billing insurance providers.
- Representation at trial of a former police officer charged with attempted murder.
- Representation of technology author charged with possession of child pornography.
- Representation at trial of an individual charged with attempted murder in connection with a nightclub assault.
- Representation at trial of an independent insurance broker charged with committing a fraud against one of the country’s largest credit insurance companies.
Chuck is a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the New York Council of Defense Lawyers, and the Federal Bar Council. He served as vice chair of the Judiciary Committee of the New York City Bar Association, and frequently lectures on topics involving white collar defense and criminal trial skills and strategy. He has consulted on criminal justice issues for the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, CNBC and Court TV. Chuck has been named as a New York Super Lawyer each year from 2006 to the present.
Prior to joining Mintz and Gold Mr. Ross was the founding partner of Charles A. Ross & Associates which maintained offices in Manhattan and Miami, Florida. Prior to starting his own firm Chuck was chair of the White Collar Criminal Defense Group at a midsized New York City law firm and a name partner at a nationally recognized boutique criminal defense firm.
As an Assistant Federal Public Defender in the Southern District office of the Legal Aid Society’s Federal Defender Unit from 1988 to 1991, Chuck conducted numerous jury trials to verdict. Before that, he was a trial attorney for the Criminal Defense Division of Legal Aid in the South Bronx. He is a cum laude graduate of New York Law School and is a member of bars of New York and Florida.