Ryan advises clients on a wide range of civil disputes ranging from commercial litigation, partnership disputes, executive compensation and employment practices, and wage and hour claims. Often, his commercial and partnership disputes involve multifaceted issues arising in the operation of businesses, such as employment claims, disguised distributions, corporate waste, dissolution, valuation or buyout.
Ryan has represented clients in a wide range of employment practices matters, and is a former member of the New York City Bar Association Labor and Employment Committee. Ryan has prosecuted and defended dozens of employment litigations. He has enforced and defended many sexual harassment, race, gender, pregnancy and age discrimination claims throughout his career. Ryan also has extensive wage and hour experience both defending companies against overtime and related wage claims and enforcing individuals’ wage claims against companies taking advantage of its employees. This experience includes prosecuting and defending class and collective actions in state and federal court.
Prior to joining Mintz & Gold LLP, Ryan was a Bronx County Assistant District Attorney. As a result of this experience, over his career Ryan has advised many clients in a wide range of criminal matters ranging from state and federal charges to regulatory and federal investigations.
Ryan’s background as a former prosecutor and unique practice area have provided him substantial experience cross-examining witnesses both on the witness stand in court and in depositions. Colleagues often recruit Ryan to assist them in conducting depositions, hearings and trials as a result of this extensive experience.
Commercial & Civil Disputes
- Represented several majority shareholders and companies defending against minority shareholder claims alleging minority shareholder oppression, corporate waste, disguised distributions and dissolution.
- Also represented several minority shareholders asserting claims against majority shareholder and company alleging minority shareholder oppression, corporate waste, disguised distributions and dissolution.
- Prosecuted claims on behalf of a client that the grantor of a trust improperly appointed bias trustees to a trust and thereafter conspired to claw back the shares of a company placed in trust for the benefit of the client.
- Defend against claims asserted by the estate of a shareholder concerning the excessive valuation of a company and related corporate waste claims.
- Defend against claims asserting the fraudulent transfer of assets.
- Prosecuted and defended numerous breach of contract disputes.
- Prosecuted and defended numerous commercial lease disputes.
- Represent numerous companies in defense of sexual harassment and discrimination claims asserted by current and former employees.
- Represent numerous companies in defense of wage and hour claims asserted by employees alleging that the companies failed to pay proper wages and overtime wages.
- Prosecute sexual harassment, race, gender, pregnancy and age discrimination claims against fortune 500 companies.
- Negotiated the resolution of sexual harassment, race, gender and pregnancy discrimination claims asserted against a multi-national conglomerate.
- Prosecute wage and hour claims on behalf of loan officers against a fortune 100 bank.
- Negotiate executive compensation and employment agreement terms on behalf of on-boarded executives (and non-executive employees).
- Negotiate severance packages on behalf of departing executives and employees.
- Represented clients in defense of criminal investigations by state and federal agencies.
- Defended several felony assault charges, including assault with a deadly weapon.
- Indicted more than 100 felony matters as a prosecutor, including attempted murder.
- Served as lead chair in several misdemeanor and jury trials as a prosecutor.